Friday, May 28, 2021

Grammar: Deduction (lemme) vs. contractions (I've)

Deduction vs. contractions  (I've, apostrophe) 

https://www.coursera.org/learn/media/lecture/HDVMy/language-focus-reductions


                                                   got to                   gotta




One way to do this is by leaving out some of the middle sounds of a phrase, give me  to gimme, common reductions that leave out some middle sounds include lemme, let me, want to, want to, and gonna, going to

Another way to make reductions is by leaving out one of the N sounds of a phrase. are formed by leaving out the V sound in have. could have, should have, would have, musta, and mighta.


Two more common reductions are formed by leaving out a sound at the end of a phrase, kind of and lotta. They are formed from the phrases kind of and a lot of. So you could say, I'm kind of hungry or I'm not, I ate lotta chips earlier.

They are very similar to other words like can't or she's or I've. These words are contractions. A contraction is a word formed by combining other words and leaving out some letters. The missing letters are replaced with an apostrophe, which is a small mark at the top of the line.




Zhang Wei (1) Give me that tire. You (2) should have let me try to fix it yesterday.

Zhang Wei (1) Gimme that tire. You should have let me try to fix it yesterday.


Liu Xiang If (3) you had told me you (4) could have fixed this yesterday, I (5) would have let you.

Liu Xiang If (3) you'd told me you (4) coulda fixed this yesterday, I (5) woulda let you.

Zhang Wei I did tell you. I said, ‘I (6) want to help. Are you (7) going to let me?’ And do you remember what you said?

Zhang Wei I did tell you. I said, ‘I (6) wanna help. Are you (7) gonna let me?’ And do you remember what you said?

Liu Xiang No, I (8) do not.
Liu Xiang No, I (8) don't.

Zhang Wei You said, ‘(9) I have (10) got to do this myself.’ So I (11) did not do anything.
Zhang Wei You said, ‘(9) I've (10) gotta do this myself.’ So I (11) didn't anything.


Elena thinks the price of gasoline is _gonna_ rise soon, so she's buying extra today.

Please tell Ivan that he's _gotta_ hurry or he'll be late.

Call me later if you _wanna_ go to the concert and I'll buy you a ticket.

You're _gonna_ go to the airport right now? _Lemme_ tell you how avoid the afternoon traffic.


I _shoulda_ told you my phone was broken.  I know you _woulda_ let me borrow yours.


Anara says we _hafta_ go now if we _wanna_ catch the last train back to the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment