Monday, May 31, 2021

English for Common Interactions in the Workplace: Basic Level

The Course is assigned for basic level English language learners, specifically level A2, according to the standards established in the Common European Framework of Reference.


Upon course completion, you will be able to: 

  • one, describe jobs and everyday workplace tasks. 
  • Two, make and receive basic professional phone calls. 
  • Three, make plans for meetings 
  • four, discuss past work activities.


First, you will see a video with a model situation which simulates an interaction in the workplace that is relevant to the module objective.


Model Situation 1: Gabriela meets a new colleague

Gabriela: Good morning, are you Camila? 

Camila: Yes, I am. I'm the new journalist. It's nice to meet you. 

Gabriela: It's a pleasure to meet you too. Welcome to Global Voice Publicity. My name is Gabriela and I'm the Human Resources Manager here. Would you like me to show you around the office and introduce you to people? 

Camila: Yes, please. That will be great. 

Gabriela: Okay, come this way.

Gabriela: Good morning Paulo. I want to introduce you to our new colleague. This is Camila. Camila, this is Paulo. Paulo is an office assistant here at Global Voice Publicity. Camila is a journalist from Argentina.

Paulo: Hi Camila. It's nice to meet you. Welcome to our office. 

Camila: Thank you. It's nice to meet you too.... I look forward to meeting everyone.

Gabriela: Yes, let's introduce you to some of the other staff.  

Camila: Okay. It's nice to meet you, Paulo.

Someone: Hi, Camila. It's good to see you again. How are you

Camila: It's good to see you too. I'm very well, thank you. I'm excited to start working here. How are you? 

Someone: I'm great, thanks. Let me know if you need anything. Let's have lunch in the cafeteria today. Great. See you later. See you.


Simulated Interaction 1: Introduce yourself 

greeting: Good morning, Good afternoon, Good evening
First time: It's nice to meet you, or, it's a pleasure to meet you
If you know the person:  it's good to see you again, or, it's nice to see you again.  
introduce Paolo, this is Camila. She is a Journalist (an Office Assistant)

Am I in the right place?


Simulated Interaction 2: A typical day at work

No comments:

Post a Comment